On Thursday, Moorhead announced former Breckenridge boys basketball coach Tyler Bormann as the new boys basketball coach for the Spuds, after Corey Zimmerman resigned in March after seven seasons.
Here’s a look at the other six candidates who interviewed for the job.
Tim Brandt – West Fargo Sheyenne assistant boys coach
- Played basketball at Minot High School until 2003 and Minot State University from 2003-07.
- Assistant coach at Minot State University from 2008-2010.
- Junior varsity coach at Surrey High School 2010-2011.
- Sophomore coach at Fargo North 2011-2012.
- Assistant coach at West Fargo Sheyenne since 2013.
Tim Buddenhagen – Huron High School (S.D.) head boys coach
- Started coaching career as an assistant coach at Huron High School in 1987.
- Following season took over as the girls basketball coach for the next 12 seasons.
- Been the head boys basketball coach at Huron ever since.
Brett Maass – Norman County Ulen-Hitterdal head boys coach
- Assistant coach for two seasons at Ulen-Hitterdal before taking over in 2011.
- He continued coaching the boys basketball team when it combined with Norman County East three seasons ago.
- 16-11 last season with NCE-U-H.
Chad Durand – Moorhead assistant boys coach
- Assistant coach for Moorhead boys basketball for last six seasons.
Vanessa Keeler-Johnson – MSUM women’s assistant coach
- Just finished her third season as an assistant coach with Minnesota State University Moorhead’s women’s basketball team, joining the staff in 2013.
- The Hartford, S.D., native played four seasons of college basketball, two coming at South Dakota State and two at the University of Sioux Falls.
- In her senior season at USF, she started all 26 games, averaging 13 points and 3.2 rebounds per game to go along with 74 assists and a team-best 44 steals.
Matt Cordes – pastor at First Lutheran Church in Fargo
- Resigned as the head boys basketball coach at New London-Spicer in 2010.
- Won Minnesota Class 2A state titles in 2008 and 2010 with New London-Spicer and qualified for the state tournament in 2006 and 2010.
As for Bormann, who got the job.
Tyler Bormann – Former Breckenridge head boys coach
- Took over the boys basketball coaching position at Breckenridge in 2012. Bormann replaced current Moorhead athletic director Dean Haugo at Breckenridge, after Haugo had coached Cowboys boys basketball for 11 years.
- He started as an assistant at Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton for three years.
- He was an assistant coach at Augustana College, S.D., Lakeland College, Wisc., and Jamestown College, before accepting the position at Breckenridge.
- Cowboys went 19-9, 21-8, 12-14 and 8-16 in his four seasons.
- Cowboys qualified for the state tournament in 2015 for the first time since 1979.